[Tagging] noexit=yes (again) (and again)

Andreas Goss andig88 at t-online.de
Sat May 31 11:18:30 UTC 2014

Am 5/31/14 12:46 , schrieb Volker Schmidt:
> This is not so obvious, because it has to be directional (for the router).
> If you start your route in such a dead-end street you never get out, if
> it's not directional.
> The noexit=yes on the way to me seems much simpler and intuitive.
> (I used the tag initially in this way, when I started with OSM. I had no
> doubt about it's use in this way, until I came across some discussion in
> a mailing list)

Tagging it on a way can just be as confusing. The router might never
enter the street, because right at the begging of the street it says
noexit=yes.
Bascially you don't have to tagg it for the router at all, because it
will see there is a street that does not continiue. And if it continiues
with a footpath then it will see that you can't drive there with a car.
Because of that alone a nonexit=yes is a bad solution as default tag for
dead end road when there is a sign, because often people on foot or bike
can still continue, but nonexit=yes suggests they can not.