[Tagging] noexit=yes (again) (and again)

Tod Fitch tod at fitchdesign.com
Sat May 31 13:11:59 UTC 2014

Any decent router will totally ignore a noexit=yes tag as it determines the topology from the actual ways and how they are connected.

The noexit=yes tag serves only one purpose and has two different "data consumers": the next human mapper that comes along and automated QA tools. It allows those two data consumers to know that a way that ends close to another way but is not connected to it is not a mistake. For that purpose it should be on the node at the end of a way that is very close to but not touching another way.

I agree with Martin that if you wish to tag a street sign that says "no outlet" or "dead end", then put a node where the sign is and tag it with "traffic_sign=*".

-Tod