[Tagging] sub key for cycle ways

Martin Vonwald imagic.osm at gmail.com
Tue Nov 4 08:03:00 UTC 2014

Hi!

> But the question is, whether we should abandon cycleway=* tagging on the
> main road in favor for, let us say, cycleway:lanes=, or do we allow lane
> tagging in addition to the well established cycleway=* scheme.

As I wrote the :lanes proposal I'm obviously in favour of using it whenever
it is useful. And useful for me means: whenever there is not a simpler
tagging variant. If there is a simple road, two lanes, one in each
direction and on both side there's a cycle lane, then there is definitively
no need at all for any :lanes tagging. On the other hand, if we are looking
at junctions with multiple (turning) lanes and multiple cycle lanes, then
we should use the :lanes tagging in addition(!) to the good old cycleway
tagging.

In general I would like to see the :lanes tagging used to provide more
details and not to replace established tagging.

Best regards,
Martin