[Tagging] custom road ref shields

johnw johnw at mac.com
Thu Nov 27 13:48:44 UTC 2014

I have a question about creating custom road shields, and I know this ties into -carto - but I think it needs tags to work, so I’ll start here in the tagging list.

I was thinking of a method for adding custom badges or shields to roads and generic objects - usually country specific things, such as the icons for types of roads, the icons for a police station, etc. This could be used for business icons, but I assume there is some kind of legal and rendering mess for that, so I’m not talking about businesses - just road shields, “emergency”-like icons, etc.

if we come up with a tagging solution that refers to a specific shield, then it should be easy for badging to be implemented in -carto and other mapping software, right?

Roads:

badge:japan=national_road
badge:japan=prefectural_road
badge:japan=tollway

badge:usa=interstate

Different standards in regions of countries could be easily implemented as well, along with custom official road tags (like California’s “scenic highway designation http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/State_Scenic_Highway_System_(California) <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/State_Scenic_Highway_System_(California)> )

  (California Scenic highway sign for state roads) = usa-ca-sr-state

By following an easy format  badge:country-region-county-city. I doubt there will be *categories* of roads lower than the county level, but you never know.

badge:usa-ca=highway
badge:usa-ca-sr=state
badge:usa-ca-sandiego=county_road

Buildings:

badge:japan=police

This might also work for custom renderings of country specific ways. For example, the Shinkansen system is always traditionally rendered with a black and white striped line that has longer segments than the normal B&W striped lines used for the normal national system train lines system (often ~50% longer). Other train lines are rendered with solid black/dark grey lines. this is a common way of differentiating the lines, as the stations on the lines are the major relative navigational landmarks of Japan (since street names and “street numbers” are virtually non-existant).

Even most unofficial maps usually follow these guidelines as well, as this one shows.
(the shinkansen is striped, but it green on this map, the B&W is the national JR system, and solid colors are the different “private” lines - thin for subway, thick for above-ground)
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-xUSQcEJEcJ0/UHkSfU7qEPI/AAAAAAAAPyU/fdAZDbuGTxk/s1600/tokyo+total+train+map.png

But currently there is no way to dictate what should be shown, and standard b&w rendering in -carto is incorrect for Japan.

badge:japan=shinknsen
badge:japan=jr_line
badge:japan=private_rail

Maybe this could be done with the colour=* tag [colour=long_bw] but colour is currently ignored, AFAIK.

The uniformity of country to country rendering in -carto because of the lack of a system for taggers to designate which badges/shields to use means we are choosing to have a worse map because it doesn’t conform to expected local customs; or worse, or we are ignoring the confusion brought by these mismatches in renderings  (eg, police icons are uniform, road shields are uniform, etc ) as not a problem that needs addressing in OSM directly (ie: let -carto worry about it)

I know some of this could be done by regional choices in how -carto renders certain tags ( Maybe a new railway=high_speed_rail in Japan is rendered differently), but it seems that more fine grain control over badges would be a better long term solution for everything.

if we make the tags and the proper references in OSM, and then submit the proper bitmap/vector file to -carto (whatever it is that is needed), then wouldn’t this be a good solution to remedy the generic ovals found in the -carto render, and supply even more information to database users?

Is limiting it to shields for roads to start with make it somewhat more manageable, or is the whole thing a bad idea from the start?

If we’re able to have information on what badge or shield (or whatever is important) associated with an object in OSM, that information can be used by all renderers, right?

Javbw