[Tagging] custom road ref shields

Tod Fitch tod at fitchdesign.com
Thu Nov 27 15:39:43 UTC 2014

If I recall correctly from a discussion on the Talk-us list a while back, the preferred way in the US is now to specify the shield in a route relation. I did not follow the discussion fully but my impression is that the tagging allowed for custom specification of the shield. It looks like https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Interstate_Highway_relations shows the route relation tagging with symbol=* specifying a url to the shield symbol svg.

Perhaps that solution would work for areas outside the US too.