[Tagging] custom road ref shields

Richard Welty rwelty at averillpark.net
Thu Nov 27 16:09:34 UTC 2014

On 11/27/14 10:39 AM, Tod Fitch wrote:
> If I recall correctly from a discussion on the Talk-us list a while back, the preferred way in the US is now to specify the shield in a route relation. I did not follow the discussion fully but my impression is that the tagging allowed for custom specification of the shield. It looks like https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Interstate_Highway_relations shows the route relation tagging with symbol=* specifying a url to the shield symbol svg.

actually, specifying the shield with a URL for an svg file was an older
approach.

the approach that Phil Gold uses in his demo is a little different;
the shield is not specified in the tagging. it does require route relations.
the ref and network tags on the relation are used as indices to tables
in the shield render to pick out what shield should be used. for example,
for NY 2, the route relation has tags

network=US:NY
ref=2

and those values are used to select the shield to be rendered.
for county routes, the network tagging is extended like this:

network=US:NY:Rensselaer
ref=130

richard

rwelty at averillpark.net