[Tagging] Feature Proposal - Voting - relation type=person

Philip Barnes phil at trigpoint.me.uk
Wed Oct 15 09:30:25 UTC 2014

On Wed, 2014-10-15 at 11:19 +0200, Martin Vonwald wrote:

>         I think that "who is in which tomb" is information that does
>         belong in OSM.....
>
>         Finding the tomb you want in a cemetery is *hard* and I'd love
>         to be
>         able to use OSM for it (probably via a specialized smartphone
>         app). A
>         particular tomb is like any POI, OSM should enable me to find
>         it. Not
>         all cemeteries are well organised enough to have grave or even
>         row
>         numbers. This is not only about noteworthy people either, one
>         should
>         be able to map a cemetery exhaustively.
>

> Simple question: why?
>

> If those are relatives of you, you should know where they are buried.
> If not, you should not care. Really not.

Genealogy, tracing family history is big business. Many people do this
and can be charged large amounts of money for such information, that is
public in that it is written and visible in a public place. A example
perfect verifiable data that belongs in OSM.

I may know where relatives who have died within my lifetime are buried,
I can possibly go back a bit further with information from older living
relatives but that is only likely to take me to the right
cemetery/churchyard. Relatives from earlier times take much more
research and having a free and open source of this information can only
benefit many people who are searching for relatives from earlier times.

Phil (trigpoint)