[Tagging] Route relations - Forward & Backward

Rob Nickerson rob.j.nickerson at gmail.com
Fri Sep 5 18:40:30 UTC 2014

Dave,

My understanding is the same as yours. That is, I map them according to the
wiki guidelines:

> "Forward" means the route follows this way only in the direction of the
way, and "backward" means the route runs only against the direction of the
way.

Adding these roles to the members that make up the relation allow you to
have circular bus routes and know the direction of travel. It also allows
you to deal with splits in the road (e.g. a dual carriageway mapped as two
separate ways in OSM) or where the "out" and "in" just differ.

Having said that, the other mappers method also has all the information in
to figure out the route, just not sure if existing tools will cope with
that (I actually like including the way twice as this allows you to have
all the ways linking in JOSMs relation editor, but not sure if this is
frowned upon).

Rob