[Tagging] Tagging of pitches within a campsite

Paul Johnson baloo at ursamundi.org
Sat Apr 18 03:36:03 UTC 2015

On Apr 17, 2015 1:41 AM, "Bryce Nesbitt" <bryce2 at obviously.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 16, 2015 at 9:50 PM, David Bannon <dbannon at internode.on.net>
wrote:

>> That scheme seems to rely on house number model. Sure looks good.
>>
>> But does it, by implication, indicate there is a (eg) a house number 12
>> on the unnamed service road ?  I'm not into mapping house numbers so
>> don't know if thats important or not.
>

> If you entered Pinnacles Campground Site 12 into your OSM powered GPS,
> would you not be happy if it took you all the way to Site 12?

Yes, I love where your head is at.

> In practice that would also require:
>
>     addr:housenumber=12
>     addr:street=[unnamed service road]

This is broken and should use a different tag.  addr:unit=12 would be
better.  Case in point, my address (in a caravan site, I know, breaking no
stereotypes about midwest life here...) already has addr:housenumber=801,
and could have addr:unit=252 if I got around to it (hard to accurately
survey in my trailer park).  Based on my home life and previous experience
as a field service engineer and postal service contractor, the US concept
of addresses for a campground, trailer park, apartment complex,
condominium, and office building are identical (with the exception of a few
edge cases where vanity addressing or multiple house numbers for the same
building or complex are in play).

> But there's no (easy) way to define an address connected to an unnamed
road.  Way numbers
> are not supported for addr:street, afik.

I guarantee you that the fire department has some way to sort it out, and
it's probably the campground's street address.