[Tagging] [Talk-GB] Wiki deprecation of an in-use feature

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Wed Apr 29 06:17:51 UTC 2015

On 29/04/2015 2:34 PM, Bryce Nesbitt wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 25, 2015 at 3:52 PM, Warin <61sundowner at gmail.com
>

>     ======================== Back on topic?
>     The 'problem' looks to have come from incorrect wiki definition.
>     So that is where to start, correctly define it, contact those who
>     have been contributing to the wiki and check they agree with the
>     'new definition' ... once agreement is reached then proceed with
>     status changes and map edits.
>

> Yes, exactly.
> The wiki page in question had a completely bogus definition.
> I did try to correct the definition, but another user reverted the
> edit saying that deprecated tags should not have a change in definition.
> Aghghg.
>
> ---
> The bigger point here is that the Wiki is not the mapping community,
> and really should not present itself as such.  Those who marked this
> tag deprecated are not the mappers who were (and still are!) using it.

Hummm ... looking back to the original definition ...
it looks like waterway=water-point was to be used for caravans.. !!!! As
well as boats.

And now amenity=water_point is to be used for all.

I think the boating people need to change. If not 'they' need to
convince at least 2 users.. and properly define what 'they' are doing
and why... on the wiki ... maybe 'they' should take a very close look at
all the waterway wiki pages before more bogus definitions are found?