[Tagging] Buildings mixing residential and commercial use

Tod Fitch tod at fitchdesign.com
Mon Aug 31 12:17:35 UTC 2015

In my area there are a number of new buildings either recently completed or still under construction that can only be described as a mixed use type: The street level is steel and concrete construction and designed specifically for retail. Above that are 3 to 5 wood framed floors specifically designed as apartments. More recent satellite imagery on a couple of buildings shows the upper residential floors to be typically built around a center courtyard with a swimming pool (having observed construction of the buildings, I am sure the swimming pools are above the level of the retail shops, not at the ground level).

Completed, the look of the buildings is pretty recognizable from the street with the fairly tall retail floor below and shorter floors of obvious residential above. I guess it could be confused with a badly designed urban hotel, but it sure would not be confused with an office building or traditional apartment building.

So building=apartments obviously is not accurate. Nor is building=retail. Apartments here are considered commercial so I could see a mapper using building=commercial even though OSM would frown on that. It makes sense to me to tag that building style as building=mixed.

Cheers,
Tod

> On Aug 30, 2015, at 11:53 PM, Danijel Schorlemmer <osm at schorlemmer.net> wrote:
>
> What about
>
> building=apartments
> building:use=residential;commercial (or retail)
>
> building=mixed doesn't seem to me to be a useful building tag. The building
> tag should describe the type of building, not its use.
>
> Cheers

>>> To me, there are 2 basic types of mixed use buildings.
>>>
>>> mixed_use_urban
>>> And