[Tagging] How to tag the inner part of a roundabout?

Dominic Coletti dcoletti.dcair at gmail.com
Wed Dec 9 17:02:50 UTC 2015

"I'd map the island as what it is (i.e. surface, landcover, kerb, flowers,
grass, artwork, etc.). No need to say this is the center of a roundabout,
because that's already in the data."

+1

On Wed, Dec 9, 2015 at 3:56 AM Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist at gmail.com>
wrote:

> :
>
>> I found many places where mappers tried to map the island in the
>>
>> roundabout, e.g. :
>>
>> 1) highway=island or highway=traffic_island
>>
>> 2) traffic_calming=island
>>
>> 3) landuse=traffic_island
>>

>> 1) I'd prefer not to use highway=*  for ways which do not describe a
>> means of transportation.
>>
>> 2) The wiki for traffic_calming=island describes the use as a node on (or
>> as a part of )a highway=*,
>>
>> both will not work here
>>
>> 3) At a first glance landuse=traffic_island looks best to me, but the wiki
>>
>> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Traffic_island
>>
>> says that this tag should be used for islands which help
>> pedestrians/cyclists to cross
>>
>> the roads, I think this is typically not true for a roundabout.
>>

> +1, you could use the traffic_island tag in this context if the roundabout
> can be walked on (i.e. there are explicit footway crossings transversing
> the island).
> traffic_calming=island doesn't seem a good fit, if I'd use any traffic
> calming tags here, the value would be roundabout (but doesn't seem to add
> information other than a judgement on the scope).
>

>> The wiki for junction=roundabout doesn't say a word about how to map the
>> island:
>>
>> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:junction%3Droundabout
>>
>> Any better ideas?
>>

> I'd map the island as what it is (i.e. surface, landcover, kerb, flowers,
> grass, artwork, etc.). No need to say this is the center of a roundabout,
> because that's already in the data.
>
> Cheers,
> Martin

Dominic Coletti
President & CEO
3Dreams Design
205 Anamoor Dr
Cary, NC 27513
(919) 463-9554

NOTICE: This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and
intended only for the individual named. If you are not the named addressee
you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail. Please notify
the sender immediately by e-mail if you have received this e-mail by
mistake and delete this e-mail from your system. If you are not the
strictly prohibited.