[Tagging] roles in relations

Paul Johnson baloo at ursamundi.org
Sun Dec 27 09:02:43 UTC 2015

I'm trying to figure out both who and why keeps changing roles on relations
from "forward/backward" which makes sense and can be easily sorted and
checked to "north/south/east/west", which only makes sense of the child is
another relation in a super-relation.  US 75 in Oklahoma, for example,
which I'm currently working on, has suffered this, as have Interstates in
the region.

Also making a plea to *not* do this and instead use the sensible
forward/backward roles; incorrect tagging becomes confusing and a real pain
to troubleshoot.

If cardinal direction specificity is that important for a particularly
confusing route, then create a super with child relations (and in the super
use the cardinal directions as roles) with the child relations tagged with
direction=<cardinal> in addition to the usual tagging.