[Tagging] roles in relations

John Willis johnw at mac.com
Sun Dec 27 22:44:27 UTC 2015

> On Dec 27, 2015, at 6:02 PM, Paul Johnson <baloo at ursamundi.org> wrote:
>
> I'm trying to figure out both who and why keeps changing roles on relations from "forward/backward" which makes sense and can be easily sorted and checked to "north/south/east/west",

I have no idea about such things, but maybe they are trying to replicate the "northbound/southbound/eastbound/westbound" cardinal directions we use on most freeways in the US. Perhaps they don't want to put it in the road name, like: " Interstate 8 (westbound)" .  In Japan we have the "up" and "down" concept, leading to town "上" and leading away from the bigger town "下" to label the different road & rail directions, usually from Tokyo or a regional capital. Besides the name field for the road, I'm not sure where to put such information. Perhaps there is some other relation field or basic tag (cardinal_Direction=*) we can create to tag this information, though for display purposes, perhaps the name field is best. Thoughts?

Javbw.