[Tagging] Tagging Voting system- time for reform?

Paul Johnson baloo at ursamundi.org
Sun Feb 1 17:34:48 UTC 2015

On Sat, Jan 24, 2015 at 8:00 AM, Dave Swarthout <daveswarthout at gmail.com>
wrote:

> +1 "Nobody votes because it's a borderline pointless endeavor."
>
> I joined this group to effect changes in tagging things of interest to me.
> But the discussions inevitably go round and round with nary a thing getting
> resolved. If someone has what seems like a good idea there is always
> someone else who takes issue with it.

The mailing lists and just going out and tagging seem to do more good than
calling convoluted proposals and voting sessions, so there's that.  For
best results, get a working model going first.  It's not like the database
is going to kick out esoterickey=unknownvalue...

Frankly, getting anything done is just too time consuming. I realize
> getting consensus on a topic is a difficult goal but I decided to just
> avoid using any controversial tags. There's enough basic mapping needed
> where I live to keep me plenty busy.

This.  Also glad Mapillary is a thing; I'm starting to try to use this to
avoid having to rely so heavily on memory and searching geolocations on
photos I've taken and hoping it happened to capture what I need...