[Tagging] Wiki on amenity=waste_disposal Rewrite?

David Bannon dbannon at internode.on.net
Fri Feb 6 22:56:56 UTC 2015

On Fri, 2015-02-06 at 19:31 +1100, Warin wrote:

.... reasoned arg against (eg) amenity=waste_dog_excrement....

Yes, Warin, you are probably right, while a more sensible syntax, it
will be resisted as too big a change.

An alternative might be to declare that (eg) waste=waste_dog_excrement
is on a par with amenity=, so waste= can be used without
amenity=waste_disposal. In other words, bumping waste= up to a higher
lever key.

While a big change in principle, its technically trivial, existing tags
in the database will still be valid, no changes needed, just in future,
taggers can leave out the redundant amenity=waste_disposal

The problem there is treating waste= as a high level tag. Considering
just how big an issue waste disposal is to humanity, I cannot help but
think its justified.

But won't be surprised if there are dissenters....

David