[Tagging] Tagging Voting system- time for reform?

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Wed Feb 11 22:51:58 UTC 2015

On 2/02/2015 4:34 AM, Paul Johnson wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 24, 2015 at 8:00 AM, Dave Swarthout
> <daveswarthout at gmail.com <mailto:daveswarthout at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     +1 "Nobody votes because it's a borderline pointless endeavor."

Yep.
Thus things don't get approved due to lack of votes because few vote.
And few vote because even a negative vote can cause the minimum number
of required votes to be exceed, enabling an acceptance.
And some want more that a simple majority in order to accept things.

  Thus the need to reform.

Ok .. I can see that compulsion on voting won't work...

So ... How about

A 3 week minimum voting period - Gives people enough time fore a holiday
and then think and caste  vote.
 From this 3 week period the proposer may close the voting if a minimum
number of votes are received and a 2/3rds majority vote for or against.
At 6 weeks and onwards the proposer may close the voting no matter how
few votes have been received and base the acceptance or failure on a
simple majority.
At one year the voting closes. No option, result on simple majority, if
50/50 then the proposal passes.

This provides for a chance for people to vote, for consideration time,
and at 6 weeks an incentive to vote as it can be called no matter how
few have voted.

>     I joined this group to effect changes in tagging things of
>     interest to me. But the discussions inevitably go round and round
>     with nary a thing getting resolved. If someone has what seems like
>     a good idea there is always someone else who takes issue with it.
>

> The mailing lists and just going out and tagging seem to do more good
> than calling convoluted proposals and voting sessions, so there's
> that.  For best results, get a working model going first.  It's not
> like the database is going to kick out esoterickey=unknownvalue...
>
>     Frankly, getting anything done is just too time consuming.

Yep. Thus it needs reform.