[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - key:rubbish=

Tod Fitch tod at fitchdesign.com
Tue Feb 17 18:11:39 UTC 2015

On Feb 17, 2015, at 9:14 AM, John F. Eldredge wrote:

> It would also be good to have a tag for a site accepting household toxic wastes such as used batteries, cleaning chemicals, leftover paint, and the like.  Here in Nashville, Tennessee, USA, such substances are not supposed to included in the regular garbage pickup, or flushed down a drain. Instead, there is a single facility for the whole city, where such toxic products are supposed to be brought by the consumer (given the inconvenience, and the fact that you have to pay a $5.00 per visit "tipping fee", I suspect that most of this ends up in the regular garbage collection anyway).

Agree that it would be good for a tag for such a site.

In my area some toxic items like used batteries and motor oil are picked up curbside along with the normal household rubbish as long as they are properly packaged (batteries in a bag on top of the recycle bin, used oil in a screw top plastic jug which they provide set on the curb). For other items like left over paint, pesticides, etc., there are monthly free drop off days at the local transfer station. No fee for residents for either as the cost is built into the regular trash collection. I can see where making it difficult with only one location and with an additional fee would greatly reduce use.