[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - key:rubbish=

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Tue Feb 17 21:52:14 UTC 2015

On 18/02/2015 8:32 AM, David Bannon wrote:
> On Tue, 2015-02-17 at 10:30 -0800, Bryce Nesbitt wrote:
>
>> It's hard to go far wrong with a dedicated tag for a feature with:
>> 1) A strong clear definition
>> 2) That features prominently on printed recreation maps, with a
>> standard icon.
>> 3) Has a large community of mappers behind it.
>>
> OK, then lets write up a formal proposal. As I said, I'm not opposed,
> just sceptical that it will succeed.
>
> Do you think such a tag will need its own subtags ?  I'm thinking of
> things like fee, access to large vehicles, cassette v holding tank, hmm,
> what else ?
>
> Do you propose something like -
> amenity=dump_station
> dump_station=fee
>
> or
>
> amenity=dump_station:fee=yes

Should not the present tags be used?!

fee=   as per http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:fee
That avoids a lot of duplication throughout OSM.

> Anyway, I'll support any reasonable proposal, we need a promotable
> solution.
>
> David
>
> PS - I suspect we can do better than any f the existing ones you listed
> below :-)
>
>> http://www.sanidumps.com/
>> http://openpois.net/
>> http://www.poi-factory.com/
>> http://www.rvdumps.com/
>> http://rvdumpsites.net/about/
>> http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/maint/ra/RVStations.htm
>> http://www.dot.state.mn.us/restareas/pdf/dumpstationslist.pdf

And then the proposal should follow the existing situation.

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:amenity%3Dwaste_disposal

so tag

amenity=waste_disposal   -exists
waste=dump_station - new

That is how I see it .. either;

you stick with the present system i.e.all waste goes under either
amenity=waste_basket or amenity=waste_disposal

OR

go with a new top level tag ... waste_collection=*

To say there is no support for a new top level tag waste_collection=*
based on the talk here .. well there are lots of people not saying
anything .. possibly they have nothing to add, or just see it as a good
idea and may vote later or see it as a lost cause. I too would like to
see them speak up - any direction they chose. But so few speak up. a few
more vote.