[Tagging] RFC aerialway=zip line

Richard Z. ricoz.osm at gmail.com
Wed Feb 18 13:31:28 UTC 2015

On Wed, Feb 18, 2015 at 09:09:10PM +0900, John Willis wrote:

> > On Feb 18, 2015, at 5:14 PM, Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist at gmail.com> wrote:
> >

> >> Am 17.02.2015 um 21:52 schrieb Richard Z. <ricoz.osm at gmail.com>:
> >>
> >> Deciding between the two would be always arbitrary
> >

> > I'd not expect practical problems (inside a playground vs not), and distinguishing the two will help when rendering and you wanted different rules according to context
> >

> +1
>
> If the zip line endpoints a get a certain rendering at a certain zoom level, having the 10m line in a playground generate aerial way station endpoints in the middle of a playground doesn't sound very beneficial.

the key is "certain zoom level".
Aerialways have usually their station buldings/structures mapped/drawn explicitly
so the default endpoints should necessarilly be fairly tiny anyway to avoid
obstructing the station building when rendered.

> I know that can be mitigated by min length or something, but ultimately a playground amenity and an a "adventuring" amenity for adults seems like a very different thing - maybe there is a kid and adult version of a zip line - and contained inside a playground (or park?) sounds like a good dividing line.
>
> It may just be the same cable - but the expectation and purpose is a bit different - things a 10 year old operates by themselves next to a swing set and something I wear a Harness and crash helmet for seem different. Keeping playground equipment separate from adventure "rides" or things as long as some cable cars or ski lifts seems appropriate.

Not only the cable but all technical structures may be exactly the same.
This one - http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/File:Zip-line_Tirolesa.jpg - looks
pretty much like a playground thing and the expectation of the users is probably
very similar like with a playground zipwire.
Is it a playground? I don't know.
min_age, max_age, maxweight, fee and other access keys would seem far more
important than deciding whether to map it as playground=zipwire or
aerialway=zip_line.

What information do you gain if you make up your mind and map it as either
playground or aerialway zipwire? If you want a specific playground=zipwire
should adventure/climbing parks and ropeway parks get yet another zipwire type?

Btw the playground-type zipwires which I see in nearby parks are around
50 meters, are the 10m types predominant in your place?

Richard