[Tagging] tagging very wide steps - highway=steps on an area?

johnw johnw at mac.com
Fri Feb 27 08:07:36 UTC 2015

 I read the wiki entry on steps (http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:highway%3Dsteps <http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:highway=steps>) and the discussion page,

and besides the discussion on which direction means uphill (that really needs to be decided), I had another big question -

can I use steps to define an area, just like highway=pedestrian?

There are sets of steps that are a very large and wide, sometimes as wide as a building, but there is no way to tag their expanse properly.

I am currently (micro?)mapping a large rose garden, and every single area - the pedestrian walkways, the grass, the hedges, pools - everything that isn’t a wall can be expressed as an area - except for the wide stairs connecting the large pedestrian areas.

Is it acceptable to tag stairs on an area, or is it only acceptable on a way? is there a possibility of putting a way under the area to define the direction of the steps, or would that mean making some kind of relation to make it happen (which I know little about)?

and we will ever have an implied direction on stairs? (up sounds fine to me).

Javbw