[Tagging] Wiki Edit War on using/avoiding semicolon lists

Никита acroq3 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 23 12:51:42 UTC 2015

> So the data in OSM is still "color=purple;orange;green"
This data will be untranslated for iD users. It is freetext without
selectbox and prone to errors. *You have to know tags* *when you use this
approach*.

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:mtb:scale:imba is not displayed
directly as mtb:scale:imba=grade2. We have verbose strings for them:
(option #2 in selectbox, RU) "Лёгкая (зелёный круг)"

Instead of "trail_visibility"="good" you have string
(option #2 in selectbox, EN) "Good: markers visible, sometimes require
searching"

You can actually translate keys right now in iD, no change in iD code:
color:purple=yes "фиолетовый"
color:orange=yes "оранжевый"
color:green=yes "зелёный"

They are just regular tags.

This easy solution is impossible with "color=purple;orange;green". I have
no idea why there people who advocate "color=purple;orange;green" approach.
70+ messages, but only 1 argument *it is easier to enter*. Easier to enter
for the person who knows everything and uses regexes every time - yes, or
anybody else - no.