[Tagging] To tag "opening_hours=by appointment"

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Thu Jul 2 22:55:50 UTC 2015

On 3/07/2015 1:37 AM, André Pirard wrote:
> On 2015-06-30 14:04, Marc Gemis wrote :
>> Everything between quotes is considered a comment, and can contain
>> values in the local language (e.g  123 "nach␣Vereinbarung"
>> <http://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/tags/opening_hours=%22nach%20Vereinbarung%22> --
>> German for by appointment)
>> IMHO this means that there is nothing to formalize. This also means
>> that ..."Sa 09:00-18:00 + appointment" is a comment and nothing has
>> to be parsed.
>> This should be  ...; Sa 09:00-18:00; "Sa also by appointment"
>>
>> see also
>> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:opening_hours/specification
>>  at the bottom.
>>
>> m.

Marc, it is not a matter now of formalising, but of documentation in a
simple easily understood form.

> IMVHO, documentation improvement and some sort of formalization is
> needed because:
>
>   * I had asked the same question here before in the same terms
>     ("appointment") and it is asked again
>   * I had overlooked "on appointment"  10 times in a page that states
>     rules in examples "to be grasped"
>   * Key:opening_hours
>     <http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:opening_hours> does not
>     contain the word "comment" and, as I read before, mappers don't
>     have 15 min to spend reading the full specification down to the end
>   * comments should be explained in the syntax, including explicitly
>     that they're used to be displayed on user screen, because this
>     example doesn't seem to be the case : /"on appointment"; PH off
>     "But not on public holidays (always closed). You don’t need to
>     write this comment for values in OSM. Documentation purpose only."/"
>   * and probably add "by schedule (see Web page)" for scheduled
>     occurrences
>   * I've had a look at Osmand and, albeit they show opening-hours,
>     they will *not* show opening_hours="by appointment".
>   * if Osmand did not understand the doc, there *is* a problem (IMVHO)
>   * I first wanted to improve my "simplified syntax" with this, but as
>     I was scolded for writing it and as as it got erased, I will let
>     you do that.
>
> Cheers
>
> André.

Thanks André.

The secondary syntax page is written in computerees ... understandable
by those practised in that language. For the general public it is not
understandable.
I'll be making some entry to the wiki  that makes a simple clear
statement of how to add "by appointment" to the opening hours ... and
will resist any deletion of such. In fact I'll add the reasons for that
to the discussion page and the syntax pages' discussion page in order to
dissuade deletion of the added text.