[Tagging] Highway proposed/planned distinction

moltonel 3x Combo moltonel at gmail.com
Thu Jul 16 11:26:47 UTC 2015

On 16/07/2015, johnw <johnw at mac.com> wrote:
> Ran into this issue today.  They are constructing a new trunk road in an
> area I’m mapping, an as is usual for Japan, they build the road in stages,
> completing one stage before they go to the next. I know, down to about 20m,
> the alignment of the sections to be built - so do I mark the whole road as
> construction=, or do I leave the section which hasn’t had the ground broken
> yet as “planned”?  even though the road as a whole is under construction and
> will be built?

The sections where construction hasn't started are definitely not
"construction". And if we start distinguishing planned from proposed,
they should certainly be "planned".

For what it's worth, a highway=planned way inside a
landuse=construction area makes sense too. Unless you plan to update
the data regularly and/or depending on the timeframe, there's no big
need to have a highway=construction step between highway=planned and
highway=final_value.