[Tagging] Local highways classifications

Richard Mann richard.mann.westoxford at gmail.com
Thu Jul 16 14:57:21 UTC 2015

On Thu, Jul 16, 2015 at 3:23 PM, <phil at trigpoint.me.uk> wrote:

> On Thu Jul 16 15:06:34 2015 GMT+0100, Richard Mann wrote:
> > For those interested, the issue appears to be that the Poles can have
> > multiple routes on one road section (fine, just like the Americans, use
> > relations), but also the same route number can get used on a series of
> > roads of different classification. So route 2 goes from Germany to Warsaw
> > as a motorway, then becomes a trunk, then a primary.
> >
> That happens in the UK, on whos road system OSM road classification is
> based, too.
>
> Many A roads switch between trunk and primary, or even vanish for a
> section where the route is a motorway. The A5, passing Telford,  is a
> classic example.
>
> Phil (trigpoint)

Yes & no. The UK classification system is mainly based on route importance,
with motorways bolted on as having specific physical characteristics (and
also generally being the most important).

I could well imagine a system where the classification is mostly based on
physical attributes, and where it would be useful to put this in a separate
tag, and let "highway" be used for importance (because that generally makes
for better-looking maps). Perhaps
local_highway=whatever-they-call-this-type-of-road-locally.

Richard