[Tagging] Disputed area

Paul Johnson baloo at ursamundi.org
Thu Jul 23 14:34:49 UTC 2015

On Thu, Jul 23, 2015 at 8:50 AM, Eric Sibert <courrier at eric.sibert.fr>
wrote:

> Overlapping should be the first step to mapping a dispute. Then if you want
>> to add dispute attributes, you could create a new multipolygon with areas
>> in question, and add dispute specific tags, wikidata tags, and similar.
>>

> In my previous message, I proposed to create a relation for the disputed
> area but a single polygon may be enough in most cases. A multipolygon may
> be used if the same dispute deals with several areas (like one country
> claiming several islands of another country at the same time).

I think a good test case for testing if this can handle ongoing and complex
conflicts would be Kashmir, as it's currently five-ways disputed between
Pakistan, India, China, a Kashmir separatist/freedom/independence movement,
and recently displaced-from-Afghanistan irregular Islamic fundamentalist
forces.