[Tagging] RFD tag:shop=camera?

John Willis johnw at mac.com
Thu Jun 4 02:14:22 UTC 2015

Sent from my iPhone

> On Jun 4, 2015, at 9:18 AM, pmailkeey . <pmailkeey at googlemail.com> wrote:
>

>> On 4 June 2015 at 00:59, John Willis <johnw at mac.com> wrote:
>>

>> Its been an uphill battle to get even the most basic (read: required) Japanese mapping conventions accepted. Traffic light rendering is still a big stinky pile of garbage. Kanji rendering is still really bad compared to Roman characters - both are being worked on by people better than me, but two down-voted proposals to get traffic light labeling/rendering "fixed" for SE asia shows where the priorities are for OSM/-carto.
>>
>> Javbw
>>

> I see no reason why different 'cultures' cannot completely ignore 'standard' carto and tags and just do their own thing. If I was looking on Japanese OSM for a restaurant, I'd expect to not find a single one. If I was looking for レストラン then I'd expect to find many.

Which are all tagged as x=restaurant, not x=レストラン

Example:

We all agree on mcdonalds being fast food, right? Yep, as do Japanese people. But so is fried octopus balls (takoyaki).

The mall near my work has a mcdonalds and a takoyaki stand. Searching for たこやき should bring it up. No problem.

The most popular fast food in Japan? Ramen. My friend owns japanese pubs (an izakaya) and ramen shops - people love quick ramen. McDonalds is doing badly here now.

Fast food Iconography? Hamburger.

Don't confuse searching for an object with how they are sorted/labeled/and represented - nor forget about the inflexibility in OSM/-carto to get them represented differently. (Take-out bag?) Or support regional renderings (buddhist shrines do not use the buddhist wheel in Japan, but thats what they get)

Javbw.