[Tagging] Changes + additions: shop= photo, hobby, model

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Fri Jun 5 15:07:55 UTC 2015

> Am 05.06.2015 um 14:09 schrieb Warin <61sundowner at gmail.com>:
>
> On 5/06/2015 9:14 PM, Martin Koppenhoefer wrote:
>>> Am 05.06.2015 um 11:25 schrieb Warin <61sundowner at gmail.com>:
>>>
>>> Consider these to be forthcoming drafts ... better than what was there.
>>> If the past mappers find and disagree .. good. I'll try to contact them latter .. and some of the other 'model' values too (model_train model_railway etc) though there are fewer of them again. This way they will have something to look at and consider.
>>
>> there are different kind of model shops, your definition is for one kind, there are also other ones that don't deal with rc models, train or car models, eg this one here:
>
> 'My' definition is broad, like a shop=supermarket .. they don't all have the same things.
>
> The one I have to tag is https://hobbyco.com.au
>
> Sells rc models, train, car, aeroplane, boat, ship ... kits or ready made, you name it they do it...

at first glance I thought shop=toys
but they also seem to sell a lot of model making / bricolage stuff, so it is similar to the shop I quoted

> Depends on how much detail 'we' want ...
> If shop=photo includes frames, cameras  .. why not shop=model to include all models?  :-\
>

>> http://www.modulor.de
>
> https://hobbyco.com.au/product-taxonomy/balsa-metal-polystyrene
> Same shop as above...

looks similar, but Modulor does not have ready made models to assemble nor do they have remote controls, servos, receivers, motors or other stuff you need for radio controlled vehicles, they also don't sell train models (with the exception of material to build miniature train landscapes because it can be used in different context as well), they just sell raw materials (also for artists, like different colours, canvases, drawing sheets etc), all kind of stationery and tools to build models.

Currently it is tagged as stationery which is not wrong but a bit poor: there are tens or hundreds of stationery shops in the city but only very few with this kind of specialization and variety. It is a "pro-shop" as opposed to a hobby shop (of course hobbyists go there as well).

>> There are also workshops specialized in architectural models.
>
> That to me is a craft .. like a professional photographer.

+1

>> I would generally dispute the tag shop=model because of its ambiguity and would prefer something like those you cited above (model_railway, model_aviation etc)
>
> In which case  https://hobbyco.com.au would have 11+ tags?

no
there can be a general tag for this kind of shop, but "model" is not a good value IMHO.

What do you think about model_making or model_building?

> One each for car, boat, ship, railway, aeroplane ...

these could become properties

cheers
Martin