[Tagging] Feature Proposal - Voting - Reception Desk.

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Wed Jun 17 01:18:53 UTC 2015

Ahh .. the passion is back! More votes .. yea!

Unfortunately it now is rejected .. 15 votes total .. less than half
those that voted before ... leaving the voting open for now.

It does appear that some who vote against don't participate in any
discussion, they just vote.

----------------------
Present points against;
a) Won't vote for furniture
b) It should be area not desk.
c) There exists some tagged reception_area already and that out numbers
the present reception_desk use.
d) Always located at the main entrance.
e) vague between tourism, office etc
f) only for very special cases.

I think I have them all?

Response;
a) OSM already has furniture. It exists and is of use. It should be mapped.
b) One could then map a very large area .. including the waiting area,
the entire building? What is needed is the small area where you go to
get access/information.
c) And there was a dog_bin in use in OSM too.. one could assume that it
is for dead dogs? The present reception_area use is all on nodes, no
areas at all. There are less than 110 uses of it. There is no
documentation for it. One of the tag is for a building .. on a node.
d) I personally know of two places where the reception is a long way
from the main entrance (Australia). Someone else also know of a
reception a long way from the main entrance (Africa I think). So not
always at the main entry, and in that situation mapping it is very usefull.
e) The proposal definitions for the keys tourism, office etc came form
the OSM wiki - direct quotes. They are broad so that all suitable
features fit, but they exclude others.
f) It is for the special cases that this is necessary. You may map the
non special cases too .. nothing stopping that.