[Tagging] Mapping private home toilets

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Tue Mar 3 16:02:12 UTC 2015

> The amenity=toilet is an existing tag for public access amenity and is
> rendered on the map.
> As toilets do not sit out in the open (except in some continental places
> where it is just a modesty wall) but are rather housed in a structure of
> some kind then I see no reason why we could not add a non-rendering tag
>  toilet=yes to a building for private toilets either in a residence or
> outhouse.

while I also believe that there is room for tagging both kind of toilets,
private and public / semi-public ones (with distinctive tags, i.e. no
"amenity" namespace for the private ones), I would like to point out that
the attribute "toilets" is also defined for publicly accessible toilets
here:
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:amenity%3Dtoilets#Toilets_within_places

cheers,
Martin