[Tagging] recent change to ranger_station proposal

Dave Swarthout daveswarthout at gmail.com
Thu Mar 5 06:25:46 UTC 2015

offices.* " http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:tourism%3Dinformation
>>information=office    "*An office where you can get information about a
town or region.*"  http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:information

Yes, I suppose those two tags work for visitor center. That's what I've
been using up to now. That said, IMO the ranger_station is a different type
of amenity from the information office described in the above tags. Just a
couple of simple additions to the wiki page would clarify those differences.

On Thu, Mar 5, 2015 at 12:38 PM, johnw <johnw at mac.com> wrote:

> we should be able to map the icon to a generic tag, such as
> amenity=camp_office or something, or map the more private “ranger_station”
> facilities in another matter, and leave amenity=ranger_station to these
> more public facing facilities that people are looking for.
>
> The name “ranger station” can always be denoted in the name field, and the
> tag something more generic for further mapping around the world.
>
> Really interesting about the park service involvement.
>
> Javbw
>

> On Mar 5, 2015, at 2:13 PM, Bryce Nesbitt <bryce2 at obviously.com> wrote:
>

> On Wed, Mar 4, 2015 at 6:48 PM, Dave Swarthout <daveswarthout at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> It sounds like the original meaning of ranger_station might have
>> described what I would term a Visitor Center. After reading these responses
>> to my post, and realizing that there are many parks with visitor centers
>> (even here in Thailand) that cannot be tagged under the present system, its
>> obvious to me that we need to add a new tag amenity=visitor_center. Visitor
>> Centers range from simple to quite lavish (think Yellowstone, Denali NPs);
>> these are definitely not ranger stations.
>>

> A vast number of park maps have a thing called a ranger station, with a
> standard symbol (a cabin with a flag over it).
>
> That specific symbol svg graphic, the tag, and the name all came from the
> US National Park Service in fact, when
> the park service donated data to Open Street Map.
>
> There may be a reader expectation that what's called on the ground a
> "ranger station" is in fact mapped as a ranger station.

Dave Swarthout
Homer, Alaska
Chiang Mai, Thailand