[Tagging] recent change to ranger_station proposal

Tod Fitch tod at fitchdesign.com
Thu Mar 5 06:39:15 UTC 2015

On Mar 4, 2015, at 10:25 PM, Dave Swarthout wrote:

> >>tourism=information  "May include Tourist information centres and offices. " http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:tourism%3Dinformation
> >>information=office    "An office where you can get information about a town or region."  http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:information
>
> Yes, I suppose those two tags work for visitor center. That's what I've been using up to now. That said, IMO the ranger_station is a different type of amenity from the information office described in the above tags. Just a couple of simple additions to the wiki page would clarify those differences.

One of the things that you can get at Park Service or Forest Service visitor centers or "ranger stations" includes permits (camping, fire, etc.). My first impression of a place tagged with tourism=information is that it is strictly for local information, not that it also a place to get some specific types of legal paperwork issued.