[Tagging] [Talk-bf] Buildings blocks

althio althio.forum at gmail.com
Wed Mar 11 20:24:15 UTC 2015

On 11 March 2015 at 18:14, Jean-Marc Liotier <jm at liotier.org> wrote:

> On 11/03/2015 18:04, althio wrote:
>

>> To Séverin,
>>
>> For your particular case with your students and considering your time
>> frame I would say:
>> IMO it is taggable, no need to avoid in OSM. Go ahead.
>> My preference is either place=block or place=plot. Pick as you wish and
>> set the trend.
>>

> Why not use both ? The two illustration below illustrate quite well how
> the city_block is divided into plots:
> https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/be/City_block.PNG
> http://i.imgur.com/jbIe1vB.png

Indeed both can be used and they are quite clearly defined.
It mainly depends on how much details Séverin and the students want to put
in the mapping. I think blocks because they are easier to explain,
recognise and map. If one wants to map plots/lots, fine! Of course you can
also add buildings and walls/fences.

> And it will be a great pedagogical opportunity to explain that not every
> tag is rendered by the demo rendering openstreetmap.org but that it is
> nevertheless useful to use it because other renderers or users in general
> will be able to use it anyway.

Agreed.