[Tagging] Smoothness possible values, straw poll.

sly (sylvain letuffe) liste2 at letuffe.org
Sun Mar 15 11:57:49 UTC 2015

David Bannon-2 wrote
> 1.  Numeric tags, perhaps grade1 .. grade8 similar to tracktype.

For information, that proposition was created a few month after the
smoothness acceptation to avoid using "subjective sounding words" like
very_bad/bad/good :
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/usability
But wasn't accepted as it didn't change the core subjectivity of the
proposal. But I do personnaly still prefer scale numbers (it's easier to
remember that 3 is lower than 4) than remembering intermediate is better
than good

David Bannon-2 wrote
> 2. Words that describe the smoothness -
>      glassy -smooth -rough -bumpy - rutted ....

no, because the smoothness tag isn't about smoothness of the surface

David Bannon-2 wrote
> 3. Words that describe the (wheeled) vehicle that might use it -
>      Any_vehicle, cispecialized_off_road_wheelsty_car_bike, 4x4_mtb,
> off_road_vehicle, extreme_vehicle, none.

yes, but no need to re-invent the wheel,
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:smoothness allready lists
thin_rollers / high_clearance / specialized_off_road_wheels as alternatives

-----
--
sly, contact direct : sylvain /a\ letuffe o r g
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/User:Sletuffe