[Tagging] Smoothness possible values, straw poll.

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Sun Mar 15 12:59:29 UTC 2015

On 15/03/2015 10:57 PM, sly (sylvain letuffe) wrote:

> David Bannon-2 wrote
>> 1.  Numeric tags, perhaps grade1 .. grade8 similar to tracktype.
> For information, that proposition was created a few month after the
> smoothness acceptation to avoid using "subjective sounding words" like
> very_bad/bad/good :
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/usability
> But wasn't accepted as it didn't change the core subjectivity of the
> proposal. But I do personnaly still prefer scale numbers (it's easier to
> remember that 3 is lower than 4) than remembering intermediate is better
> than good

I'd take it that 3 being less than 4, means 3 has less smoothness than 4. And so on. With the normal editors having a list of the possible values to chose from solves the problem of remembering the order of the words (assuming they are listed in order).

The degree of change between 3 and 4 would need a wordy description.. where as conceptually the change from say bad, mediocre, to good is easier to grasp without referring to the wiki description too often? Depends very much on the words and the number of them. I'm still inclined to words..just! The words themselves need to be well chosen.. that problem at least does not exist for the number solution.