[Tagging] Accepted or rejected?

Friedrich Volkmann bsd at volki.at
Mon Mar 16 08:11:45 UTC 2015

On 14.03.2015 21:27, Clifford Snow wrote:
> I would suggest adopting " Conditional Approval" approach. If the proposal
> receives sufficient votes, it becomes "Conditionally Approved." Only after
> it becomes widespread and adopted by JOSM and iD it becomes an "Approved"
> tag.

No. Editor developers aleady have too much power. Editor support often
depends on the mood of one single person. I would rather say that, for a
given number of occurrences, editor support should be considered a counter
indicator for approval. When usage spreads in spite of no editor support,
that means that mappers choose the tag on purpose. When usage remains
intermediate in spite of editor support, that means that mappers use the tag
only because it is imposed by the editor.