[Tagging] Accepted or rejected?

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Mon Mar 16 10:31:06 UTC 2015

On 16/03/2015 7:11 PM, Friedrich Volkmann wrote:
> On 14.03.2015 21:27, Clifford Snow wrote:
>> I would suggest adopting " Conditional Approval" approach. If the proposal
>> receives sufficient votes, it becomes "Conditionally Approved." Only after
>> it becomes widespread and adopted by JOSM and iD it becomes an "Approved"
>> tag.
> No. Editor developers aleady have too much power. Editor support often
> depends on the mood of one single person. I would rather say that, for a
> given number of occurrences, editor support should be considered a counter
> indicator for approval. When usage spreads in spite of no editor support,
> that means that mappers choose the tag on purpose. When usage remains
> intermediate in spite of editor support, that means that mappers use the tag
> only because it is imposed by the editor.

Mappers don't use a tag .. even ones 'suggested' by an editor unless they 'fit'.
Beginner mappers, like me, use the wiki in searching for a suitable tag, it aids understanding.
They don't rely on the editor to find suitable tags as it does not provide enough information.
If the wiki description is a poor match but no other tag is found you may find that tag is used or the data is not entered.
Few beginner mappers will make a new tag. They may make a node with a note.. but that is about it.

Approval and rejection at the moment are only tagging group indicators.. the best 'indicator' is that it is rendered.
And that is not a function of JOSM nor iD .. but the renderers .. there are a few of them .. if they all render some OSM object then that tag has 'made it'.
I think the 'approval' and 'rejection' should stay where it is .. it is not the be all and end all of a tag.

As for increasing the 'approval' vote to a minimum of 10 with 75% .. ok ..
as long as there is a time limit on the minimum number of 10,
at the end of, say 6 weeks, the number requirement needs to be dropped altogether.
This would encourage people to vote as after 6 weeks their lack of voting does not matter.