[Tagging] Increasing voting participation (Was Accepted or rejected?)

fly lowflight66 at googlemail.com
Wed Mar 18 13:46:02 UTC 2015

Am 18.03.2015 um 09:26 schrieb Warin:
> On 18/03/2015 5:02 PM, Marc Gemis wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, Mar 17, 2015 at 9:42 PM, Bryce Nesbitt <bryce2 at obviously.com
>> <mailto:bryce2 at obviously.com>>wrote:
>>
>>     A separate debate is how to increase voting participation.  making
>>     pending votes more visible in the editing tools could help.
>>

>> Just some idea:
>> Translate the proposal in German, French, Spanish and Russian, ...
>> (the largest communities outside the English speaking countries)
>> Let people vote and discuss in their own language. Sum up the votes
>> from the different pages.

-1

> It is a good idea.
> The main problem is that an issue in one place may have been resoled in
> another. So there may need to be some cross flow between the discussions
> when required/requested?
>
> The secondary issue is the translation. I'm afraid I'd be using one of
> those computer translators to do it .. thus there will be some amusement
> .. not a bad thing .. it can be cleaned up once done.

+1

>> Not everyone is willing/capable to discuss in a foreign language.
>
> Yep. And thus OSM misses out on probably some very good ideas.
> And this may well encourage others to make more tags.

So, we need some mediators to help to break the language barrier. People
willing to help with English or even take over ideas and make proposals.

I could understand if a proposal is first written in a language
different than English and later translated into English but the wiki
itself needs lots of work on much more important pages than translating
proposals in multiple languages.

One thing for creators of proposals which are not voted on and everybody
else would be to make the transfer to an official wiki page once the tag
is in major use. Then translation can start.

cu fly