[Tagging] Accepted or rejected?

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Thu Mar 19 11:15:08 UTC 2015

> Though Bryce introduced the "abstain" option with a nice pictogram :) I
> don't remember seeing it used in any proposals.

I remember several occasions with abstention votes in the wiki, e.g. here:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Highway_key_voting_importance
there are votes like "veto", "I am a teapot", "abstain", "going to ignore",
"Nnnnnnnnnggggggggggh", "I just got out and map"

> Therefore currently there is no mathematical difference. Therefore I
> suggest that you just change the rule from "74 % approval" to "not more
> than 25 % objection". Since we are in the process of discussing abandoning
> the approval process all together, we can revisit the numbers.

IMHO no need to change the wiki system after a 5 days informal voting
period on the tagging mailing list with very few participation (if you
count the people that so far have expressed a clear +1 to the proposed
change seem to be less than 10 if I didn't overlook someone). We can
revisit the numbers, yes. I agree that a proposal with almost 50%
opposition should not pass. But we don't need to hurry.

> But since you seem to have a strong opinion and sound reasoning, I'd just
> implement the change you suggest now and wait for someone to tell you why
> it's a bad idea.

no, please do not change anything right now. Let's wait some time and see
what we can come up with. I believe a lot of people agree that the current
system of "voting" a tag for 2 weeks after a 2 week RFC period and then
leading to "approved" or "rejected" status.

There have been proposed at least 2 alternatives, one was that of changing
the wording to "these n mappers recommend this tag" (list of supporting
mappers, n being the sum), rather than the "approved" status.
The other one was about endless "voting", where the proposal page would be
kept open for pro and con comments (something we do have in some form with
the "talk" page for each tag page).

Cheers,
Martin