[Tagging] Fuel shops

Dave Swarthout daveswarthout at gmail.com
Mon Mar 23 10:02:25 UTC 2015

On Mon, Mar 23, 2015 at 2:50 PM, Friedrich Volkmann <bsd at volki.at> wrote:

> I agree with amenity=fuel + a subtag like these (if needed).

This is not the way to go.

An amenity is something the *general public* might like or use or want to
visit. These little shops are definitely not that. They sell small
quantities of fuel, usually 2 or 3 liters, to local motorcycle drivers. And
the Wiki's definition of shop is: "A place selling retail products or
services."  Too brief perhaps but it does allow for a wide range of
additions.

Meanwhile, until the renderers get smart, people are going to travel to
these shops hoping to fill up their SUVs. This is exactly what I'm trying
to avoid. I do not see why there is so much resistance to adding another
value to the shop keys in existence. There are some pretty strange special
values out there:
shop=bag
shop=e-cigarette
shop=fashion  (??)

What the hell does a fashion shop sell? Fashion of course. I wonder when
the renderers will decide to deal with bag shops?

Dave