[Tagging] Fuel shops

Dave Swarthout daveswarthout at gmail.com
Tue Mar 24 01:22:41 UTC 2015

Also, Bryce makes this point, a valid point I must add:

These stands are also far more volatile than a proper fuel station.  And
once they cease business
very hard to un-map.

That's true but it's also true of many other objects. Mapping the world is
a dynamic endeavor because things change: roads are built, railroads are
converted into bike paths, construction=yes becomes building=yes.

Here in Thailand, many small fuel shops now feature vending machines to
dispense gasoline and are often open 24/7. I believe the shops we're
talking about here will eventually be replaced by these. I'm tagging those
as amenity=fuel with other tags to fine tune the situation. See the Wiki
under amenity=vending_machine
<http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:amenity%3Dvending_machine>
There is a bigger photo of this new fueling point here
<http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/File:Vending_machine_for_motor_fuel,_Thailand.jpg>
.

At these places you could fill up your SUV tank and hence they are tagged
appropriately. I add:

amenity=fuel
automated=yes
dispenses automotive fuel 24/7. Most are poorly marked and offer no other
services.
fuel:diesel=yes/no
fuel:gasohol_91=yes/no
fuel:gasohol_95=yes/no
fuel:gasoline_91=yes/no
fuel:gasoline_95=yes/no
name=*
opening_hours=24/7
payment:cash=yes
payment:credit_cards=no
source=GPS, geolocated photo
vending=fuel
vending_machine=yes

In the 5 years I've been motorcycling around Thailand I'm seeing more and
more of these. But the other type, the shops we're working with now, will
likely be around for many years. They should be mapped in some meaningful,
and useful, way.

--
Dave Swarthout
Homer, Alaska