johnw johnw at mac.com
Wed Mar 25 04:56:02 UTC 2015

Standard vs designated needs to be rethought.

I would suggest designated, unimproved, informal, trekking. This would alleviate so many classification issues.

Designated is a campsite. Is it for Tents? for car campers? for caravans? for RVs? who cares. Detail that
This is a place where you will find amenities. What amenities? Don’t care. tag them on it (showers, et)

Unimproved is a designated sites with minimal to no amenities. a road, a flat spot, and maybe a fire ring or a water tap. no stores, no spaces, no support.
This is a place where people can park a car and pitch a tent. But you have some kind of “approval” to be there - the blessing of someone - the owner, the town, something.

Informal is unimproved, but without the explicit blessing of a specific body. A camp near a track in the desert. A good spot on a access road on a forest. A spot near town that is friendly to passers-by - but there’s no official blessing from the town or land management agency, beyond not prohibiting camping outright.

Trekking -

An informal camp site  that is in the middle of nowhere, with severe assess limitations.

This seems *much* more flexible to me.

> On Mar 25, 2015, at 6:37 AM, David Bannon <dbannon at internode.on.net> wrote:
>
> But you would not oppose the proposal because a particular category does
> not exist where you live/travel ?
>
> Here in Australia (and other parts of the world) there really is a
> different type of camp ground. Its typically provided by local council
> or a local community (wanting to attract visitors).

I dont’ have a problem with it tagged as a camp site, because it has been chosen *as a camp site*, right?

just put a fee= tag on it. It may not have designated spaces or a water tap, but it is a designated camping area.

It is an unimproved camp site. It is bare of amenities. but it is legally blessed (the owner/operator wants campers to show up), so it is chosen to be a camp site.

I like the idea of this proposal, I just think the def’s are a little off - they need to really be describing the type of campground as a whole, and leave other details to established tags - like fees, water, showers, caravans allowed, etc to additional tags - unless it describes the complete lack of any of them (designated vs unimproved).

Javbw