[Tagging] RFC - obligatory usage - bicycle=obligatory

fly lowflight66 at googlemail.com
Sat Mar 28 13:22:39 UTC 2015

Am 28.03.2015 um 13:24 schrieb Simon Poole:

> I have to say that this adds yet another value to the bicycle tag that
> doesn't solve any problems (note: if at all it naturally should be
> "mandatory" however that is not my primary concern).

+1

> We have bicycle=designated and bicycle=official for mandatory use
> cycleways (where the concept of such exists). "official" already tries
> to capture a nuance in a specific countries law that is lost on most
> (and probably doesn't exist in reality) trying to differentiate further
> doesn't make any sense (and we already have use_sidepath thrown in to
> the mix).

In Germany, community decided to use mostly *=designated for the blue
signs (mandatory). At least my *=official were almost completely changed
back to *=designated which might go along with the still outstanding
support of *=official in Mapnik-Carto.

On the other hand, I only use *=designated with the blue signs otherwise
only *=yes together with (motor_)vehicle=no.

Just had to point two other mappers to the wiki[1] the last week after
changing lots of

highway=path
bicycle=designated
foot=designated