[Tagging] recommend tagging of volcanos as ways rather than nodes

Bryce Nesbitt bryce2 at obviously.com
Mon Mar 30 22:36:18 UTC 2015

>John Willis
>There is no way to say "this is a minor hill". - I'm not talking about
mountaineering definitions and sub-peak prominence, but just that
>rendering order and priority in OSM/carto has no method for saying "this
is a tiny but named hill 25m tall in a city park" and "this is an
internationally famous 3000m mountain, visible for 75km and a >landmark for
millions of local residents"

Indeed.
And it's not just mountains that have the problem.

Local people tend to know what peaks are important, but automated tools
really can't.
Sometimes a local peak is important because of shape, trails, prominence
from a particular
viewpoint, a famous incident, or a thousand other factors unknowable based
on the elevation and contour alone.

When people add all the peaks, especially via an import, the important ones
get drowned out.
Same thing happens with building imports.  Early hand mappers tend to put
the prominent buildings in
(e.g. city hall, library, robber barron mansion).   Later, there's little
to distinguish the mass of buildings.

*prominence={0-5} *is a solution. Subjective and messy to be sure, but
maybe the only clear way forward.