[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - Power utility office

John Willis johnw at mac.com
Wed Nov 4 06:16:18 UTC 2015

> On Nov 4, 2015, at 2:46 PM, Marc Gemis <marc.gemis at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> The network is ran/owned by a government institution, the actual power distribution by commercial providers. So when you want a contract to get electricity you go to a commercial entity. So building=civic is not suitable there (I think)

This is a good point, and one of the reasons that the proposal was narrowed down to exclude utilities, including only things commonly done by governments.

This is a variable across the world, and is different for different utilities in different regions of different countries.

Perhaps it might be good to make a office=utilities
And utilities=* and have it cover the gamut of all the stuff you commonly would have to pay for for a house or rental property (water/power/sewer/sanitation/trash/recycle) and leave telecom out? What common things are a utility common in most counties (outside of telecom?)

I'm not sure where the line is, but I wantto document these beyond a simple office=water, as I think the should be tagged differently so they can be rendered differently (eventually). Just as residential is rendered very differently from commercial - the landuse for governmental complexes (and their buildings) should be easily visually distinct from the the other buildings - Especially with the color palette simplification -carto recently did. But maybe keeping the utilities out is best.

Perhaps just making a bunch of office=* tags is the way to handle it - but when the water district office that manages your house's water supply is tagged office=water, does the filtered bottled water guy also get office=water ?

I wanted to have some tag to separate the state sanctioned monopolies/duopolies (or truly governmental) utility offices from the standard commercial offices.

Javbw