[Tagging] waterway=penstock to complete pipeline tagging

François Lacombe fl.infosreseaux at gmail.com
Mon Oct 5 11:41:17 UTC 2015

Hi all,

How would you feel about considering waterway=penstock beside of
waterway=canal, waterway=drain to complete pipeline tagging scheme ?

Penstocks pipes are mostly used in hydroelectric power plants to
provide high pressure water to turbines.
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/ba/Tossaka_power_station_penstock.jpg

I use to tag low pressure water supply infrastructure as
waterway=drain or waterway=canal.
Example : http://www.openstreetmap.org/way/372743390
and man_made=pipeline + substance=water for the high pressure part
(sometimes overground shielded metal pipes going along hills and
mountains)
Example : http://www.openstreetmap.org/way/372743380

These ways are connected, sometimes with a surge tank depending of the
hydraulic circuit configuration.

Currently, I find something missing regarding man_made=pipeline +
substance=water because a pipe carrying water can correspond to many
things in reality.
man_made=pipeline + substance=water + *waterway=penstock* would fill the lack.

I suggest waterway=penstock because it has the same target as
waterway=canal or waterway=drain : a water path more than a pipeline
type, part of the global routable water network.
waterway=penstock is used 36 times whereas 18 for
pipeline:type=penstock (non-reviewed key for pipeline:type out of the
scope of the last pipeline extension proposal).
http://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/search?q=penstock#values

All the best

François Lacombe

fl dot infosreseaux At gmail dot com