[Tagging] new access value

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Thu Oct 8 12:44:28 UTC 2015

sent from a phone

> Am 08.10.2015 um 12:07 schrieb Colin Smale <colin.smale at xs4all.nl>:
>
> Don't forget that even simple things like "what is a bicycle" vary from country to country. Is a tricycle a bike? Is an electric bike still a bike? Is a bike pulling a 3-metre trailer still a bike?

There are 2 possibilities here:
the jurisdiction has specific laws for tricycles, or other specific vehicles we don't have a vehicle class for, then we should add these vehicle classes in our tagging system,

or these vehicles are set to be treated like another vehicle, e.g. to a tricycle apply the same rules than to a bicycle, in this case the user will have to select the corresponding vehicle class in his application.

There can be a problem when doing international routing, crossing borders where the relevant rules change, but a dedicated tricycle router will likely be able to compile her maps in a suitable way (using osm country boundaries and external data (e.g. osm wiki) to what a tricycle equates in these countries or which defaults to choose for missing data).

cheers
Martin