[Tagging] post_box:type values, meter in particular

Holger Mappt holgerosm at gmx.net
Thu Oct 15 19:54:32 UTC 2015

Hi,

The post_box:type Wiki page [1] was created two months ago and the key
was added to the JOSM preset recently [2]. That means that the values
show up in Launchpad for translation. The "meter" type in particular is
hard to translate as it is not clear for non-UK citizens like me what
that type refers to. The Wiki page states that post_box:type is about
the physical style (size/shape) of the post box, but "meter" refers to
the type of mail the post box is intended for. What would be the value
if there is a pillar box for meter mail in some country? Any ideas how
this can be improved? There is no word for "meter" in my language and
the translation would be either incomprehensible or too long.

Holger

[1] https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:post_box:type
[2] https://josm.openstreetmap.de/ticket/11933