[Tagging] Satellite visibility of archaeological sites

Bjoern Hassler bjohas+mw at gmail.com
Tue Aug 23 11:42:53 UTC 2016

Hi all,

how would you tag whether an archaeological site is visible on satellite
images?

Sardinia has several 1,000 large megalithic stone towers (nuraghe), about
600 of which are in OSM. However, they have different states of
preservation. Some are clearly visible on the satellite image (with
extensive structures present), but others aren't (and there probably isn't
much remaining).

This doesn't necessarily indicate their preservation - some are covered by
forest. So a tag like "preservation" may not be easy to add unless you do a
ground survey.

However, I'd like to add something like "visibility", indicating whether
the site is clearly visible from a satellite image (and may thus be worth
visiting).

What do you think? What tag should I use?
Bjoern