[Tagging] Tagging scrapyards, junkyards

Dave Swarthout daveswarthout at gmail.com
Mon Feb 1 04:59:15 UTC 2016

Just to keep things straight, let me summarize what I have so far. I sort
of decided to go with the British colloquial term "scrapyard" as a place,
usually a large open area, where old cars are kept to be sold for spare
parts. In America the common term, and the one I'm familiar with, is
junkyard. A more polished sounding, and perhaps more accurate, term is
auto_salvage but I feel there's no need to promote a less used tag when
more popular ones will serve nicely. We decided against the term auto_ or
automobile_recycling. While that may be the ultimate end for these old
vehicles, that isn't the primary function of an automotive scrapyard in
this context. There are possibilities for defining the particular type of
scrap that is handled, or recycled, by a yard but that discussion is beyond
the scope of my original query.

Adding the tags

shop=car_parts
second_hand=only

takes care of the main function of the scrapyards I'm dealing with. I will
also tag the area as landuse=industrial.

Thanks again for the help and the feedback,

Dave

On Mon, Feb 1, 2016 at 7:25 AM, John F. Eldredge <john at jfeldredge.com>
wrote:

> The usual arrangement is that reasonably-intact vehicles are kept as a
> parts source for some period of time, then whatever is left is eventually
> sold to another facility that handles recycling of bulk scrap metal.  Badly
> damaged vehicles may go immediately to the latter facility.  Back in the
> 1980s, I worked as a security guard at a facility that handled the
> bulk-metal-recycling step.
>
> On 01/22/2016 09:53 AM, Mike Thompson wrote:
>
> In the parts of the US where I have lived (Midwest, West) these would be
> called "Auto Salvage" if they mainly dealt with vehicles, although
> "junkyard" is used colloquially. However, to be consistent, we should use
> the British English term to be consistent.
>
> Mike
>
> On Fri, Jan 22, 2016 at 3:06 AM, Philip Barnes <phil at trigpoint.me.uk>
> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 2016-01-21 at 12:22 -0500, EthnicFood IsGreat wrote:
>> > >
>> > I thought scrapyards and junkyards were two different entities.  This
>> > is how I think of them.
>> >
>> > Scrapyards are places whose primary purpose is to buy items that are
>> > no longer wanted (typically metal objects) and then sell them for the
>> > value of their raw materials.  Junkyards are places whose primary
>> > purpose is to sell intact vehicle parts from wrecks to people who are
>> > repairing a vehicle.  Definitely not the same thing.
>> >
>> As a native speaker I see the two as the same thing, scrapyard being
>> British English, junkyard American English.
>>
>> Phil (trigpoint)

Dave Swarthout
Homer, Alaska
Chiang Mai, Thailand